Choosing to take this role was very difficult. I greatly admire the work that Steve Jobs has done and have many friends and colleagues who knew and/or worked for Steve. So, when I read a screen play that was not entirely flattering to his character I had great reservations. But I chose to take on the role for a couple reasons.
I care. As I read the script I had a knot in my stomach. I imagined actors playing the role and not connecting to the love that went into some of the seemingly irrational decisions that Steve sometimes made. If this film becomes an enduring memory, of a man I admire, I wanted to ensure that it was portrayed by someone who cared about his legacy and took the time to represent him in a way that people who were close to Steve felt to be authentic.
The idea of playing the role terrified me. I’ve found that the greatest rewards I’ve received in my life have come from jumping at the opportunities to take on things that scare me. The chance to portray someone who not only lived but who is still very relevant and alive in the zeitgeist seemed to be a once-in-a-lifetime challenge.
It was a perfect convergence in my craft and my interests. I’ve spent the last 5 years working with early stage technology companies as an investor and advisor. Whenever you take on a role, it’s like a crash course in the subject matter of the film. So while researching the role I was able to spend countless hours studying tech design, product, and history. It also afforded me the opportunity to meet with several of Steve’s peers who happen to be icons of the tech world.
I loved what the film stands for. I think with the state of the global economy inspiring young people to build things is vital. I wanted to remind entrepreneurs that Steve Jobs wasn’t always “Steve Jobs”, that he struggled, that he failed, and that he rigorously persevered to build something great to improve other people’s lives.
Find the original post here.
- Ashton Kutcher talks his role as Steve Jobs in Apple founder bio (panarmenian.net)
- Ashton Kutcher Admits Idea of Playing Steve Jobs Was Terrifying (aceshowbiz.com)
- Silicon Alley Insider: Ashton Kutcher Explains Why He Wanted To Play Steve Jobs (businessinsider.com)
- Ashton Kutcher: Why I Wanted to Play Steve Jobs (news.softpedia.com)
- Here’s Why Ashton Kutcher Chose To Play Steve Jobs In Upcoming Flick (applios.wordpress.com)
- Ashton Kutcher Explains Why He Wanted To Play Steve Jobs (embargozone.com)
- Ashton Kutcher Explains Why He Wanted To Portray Steve Jobs (appadvice.com)
- Steve Jobs film trailer first ever to premiere on Instagram (guardian.co.uk)
- New Trailer For Ashton Kutcher’s ‘Jobs’ Movie Debuts On Instagram (cultofmac.com)
- Jobs Trailer Debuts on Instagram–Watch Ashton Kutcher in the 15-Second Clip (eonline.com)