Is this code for The WELL closing or is the online community just being offered up for sale or a transfer to new management. It has never really integrated with Salon at all, so this is no surprise, though I hope it doesn’t close close.
With its roots going all the way back to the mid-1980′s, The WELL was a true pioneer of the digital age: one of the earliest virtual communities and a forerunner of today’s ubiquitous social networks.
However, as part of the company’s review of its strategic objectives, we have determined that The WELL no longer aligns with our business plans and accordingly we are exploring transferring The WELL to new management.
The WELL has played a central role in the origin of countless creative endeavors and cultural movements and it’s safe to say there will never be another online community quite like it. Many of you have been active in The WELL since these early days and have played major roles in keeping the community active and engaging. We deeply admire and appreciate that engagement, and will keep you informed as this process develops.
CEO, Salon Media Group
I have not been an active member of The WELL in a long while but I have become addicted to my firstname.lastname@example.org email address, so please continue the email address services, Cindy!
- The Well, a Pioneering Online Community, Is for Sale Again (bits.blogs.nytimes.com)
- CNN, Fox botch Obamacare call (salon.com)
- The Week in Pictures (salon.com)
- Introducing Salon’s new CEO (salon.com)
- Facebook underhandedly changes your default email address to @Facebook.com (technologytell.com)
- Emails Tie Goldman Manager, Rajaratnam (online.wsj.com)
- Facebook just changed your email address (wired.co.uk)
- Facebook changes users’ email addresses (ibnlive.in.com)
- Facebook is trying to hijack your email (kshb.com)
- O’Brien: Is it time to pull the plug on Web publishing pioneer Salon.com? (mercurynews.com)
- Laurel Papworth: Laurel Papworth – Google+ (plus.google.com)
- Evolution and Drivers of Virtual Communities (ed24lemons.wordpress.com)
- ‘Kill the article’ – How tech’s giants want to re-invent journalism (nextlevelofnews.com)
- In the middle: Shrink (salon.com)
- Social Media & Social Good – the Next Frontier (shopsocial4good.wordpress.com)
- 7 Ways to Use Email to Improve Virtual Communities (customerthink.com)
- EPA’s fracking rules disappoint (news.salon.com)