As more people use social media such as Twitter and Facebook, politicians and campaigns need to put more time, energy and money into reaching people there–but effectively. Grant Crowell over at ReelSEO recently analyzed social media strategies in politics. Here are some social video tips from for politicians to avoid political disasters and how to handle them properly:
- Be your own media hub. Take sensitive questions and address controversies through your own media channels.
- Treat anything you have ever put out online as public. It doesn’t matter if you meant it for someone personally, or even kept it for yourself privately. Remember, anything you upload is not a available to anyone for access.
- Learn to control the situation. Don’t feel the need to always have a live audience for everything you do and every message you need to get across.
- Don’t lie to us. The same goes to being evasive.
- Admit stupidity. If you are stupid enough to lie, at least admit it.
- Put things in proper perspective for us. Does it really affect the ability to do your job?
- Be social with video ALL the time. Rather than using social media and online video only to promote your campaign and deal with controversies, utilize it to build your social capital for anything in the future.